The Definition of Diet

Saturday, August 6, 2011

The definition of diet that I will use throughout this site is the
usual food and drink consumed by an organism or a prescribed selection
of food. This is opposed to another definition of diet – the act of
restricting your food intake.
I'll be honest, I love to eat. Who doesn't, right? One of my favorite
benefits of cycling is being able to eat large amounts of food to
replenish the calories burned during my rides.
I've never had much trouble with my weight since I've been fairly
active my entire life. But, I also never really understood the
definition of a healthy diet was and why it was important.
My diet used to consist of heavily processed foods. Hey, as a
bachelor, I needed something quick to fix that I could also store for
long periods.
Well, times change. Now, my wonderful wife helps me incorporate more
whole foods into the mix. I've also learned much more about the
definition of diet and what the body needs to continue to perform at a
high level. Having this knowledge and just paying a slight amount of
attention to what I put into my body has increased my performance on
the bike more than any other factor.
A healthy diet should be a part of your lifestyle and something you
strive for daily. However, dieting is not advised for the avid
cyclist. Dieting typically involves dramatic changes restricting
certain foods and removing balance from your meals.
If weight loss is an issue, I believe the best advice is to ratchet up
your training a bit and simply be aware of the foods you are eating.
Restricting your diet may not allow you to get the nutrition you need
to create the energy necessary for training.
Although eating is fun, the main goal is to supply your body with fuel
and nutrients in the following forms...
Carbohydrates are the most common source of energy. Stick with complex
carbs found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains as opposed to
simple (typically processed) carbs found in sugar, candy, and soda.
Proteins contain amino acids and are essential for building muscle and
repairing tissue. Try to get your protein from low-fat sources such as
chicken and legumes.
Fats help deliver vitamins and provide energy stores for the body.
Stay away from saturated fats because of high levels of bad (LDL)
cholesterol. Get mono- and polyunsaturated fats from nuts, olive oil,
and fish.
Sodium is one of the primary electrolytes of the body and is
especially important for cyclists to remain hydrated. Even so, it is
typically unnecessary to add table salt to your foods. Most foods
already contain enough sodium to satisfy your daily requirement.
Fiber helps keep you regular and cleans out the intestinal tract and
colon. Broccoli, carrots, beans, oats, and apples are all great
sources of fiber.
Vitamins, minerals & antioxidants are essential for balanced health
and fitness. Try to get these from whole foods when possible or use
supplements if necessary.
Cycling will allow you to enjoy eating. Just don't overdo it. Take in
a number of calories equivalent to your expenditure or a little less
if you're trying to lose a couple of pounds. Allow yourself that
hamburger & fries, slice of cake, or pint of beer – but only
occasionally. Remember, everything in moderation and the fresher the
better.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Fitness For You © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets