Sweet Snacks: 3 Treats That Help Keep Cravings Under Control

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One of my goals for 2011 is to kick my sugar habit. My cravings got so out of control they were wreaking havoc on my body. I'm talking fatigue, mood swings, breakouts—it was not pretty.

In the past few weeks, I've gained some control of my sugar cravings. It's still a constant struggle, but here's what's working for me:

  • Delaying sweets until after dinner. This is all mind over matter for me. Once I start with the treats, I can't stop. This is the best option for me.
  • Eating "real" meals. Taking a minute or two to plan my meals has made all the difference. I'm really trying to incorporate more whole grains, fruits/veggies, and lean protein into all my meals. Having all these elements together in one meal really satisfies me, which makes my sugar cravings less intense.
  • Blogging my meals and snacks. I got really lazy documenting my meals and snacks on my blog but recommitting to it forces me to create well-balanced meals, which ultimately helps with my sugar cravings.
  • Keeping busy. I'm still working on this one, but I've realized when I am busy I don't think as much about sweets.

Additionally, allowing myself daily treats has satisfied my cravings without overdoing it. I try to include healthy carbs, lean protein, and a little bit of fat in all my sweet snacks to satisfy me and ward off those crazy cravings. Here are a few of my favorite (mostly) healthy treats:

Peanut Butter and Banana Yogurt Sundae
Ingredients:

  • 6 ounces Greek yogurt
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon peanut butter

Directions:

  • Melt peanut butter in microwave (approximately 30 seconds)
  • Pour melted peanut butter over yogurt and banana slices
milk-shake

Almond Butter and Butterscotch Sandwich Thins
Ingredients:

  • 1 Sandwich Thin
  • 1 tablespoon almond butter
  • 1 tablespoon butterscotch chips

Directions:

  • Lightly toast Sandwich Thin
  • Spread on almond butter and top with butterscotch chips

Caramel "Milk Shake"
Ingredients:

  • 8 ounces soy milk
  • 1 scoop vanilla-flavored protein powder
  • 1 teaspoon caramel extract

Directions:

  • Combine all ingredients and shake well

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Fitness For You © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets