Would you feel comfortable with a male gynecologist?

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

I've been seeing the same gynecologist for a few years now. I enjoy everything about her. She's a compassionate Jewish mother who lives in my town and shares my passion for running. So when I called to confirm my annual appointment last week and was told she was out of the office delivering a baby, I was a bit bummed. The nurse asked me if I'd care to see the new doctor instead. I don't have time to reschedule this, I thought. I agreed, and that was that.

More from The StirIt's About Bloody Time Tampax Ads Looked Realistic

After an hour in the waiting room, I was just a tad frustrated. It was clear I should have made another appointment, and the other OB/GYN was swamped. Finally, one of the nurses brought me into an exam room and told me to stay dressed so the new doctor could come in and meet me. As I sat waiting, I heard a voice in the hall. It was a man. He asked, "Does she know?" The nurse replied, "I think so."

Are you 'effin kidding me!?

NO, I DIDN'T KNOW THE NEW DOCTOR WAS A MAN! I wanted to scream. My head was spinning. I had spent an hour in the waiting room and another 15 minutes alone in the exam room, only to then find out my OB/GYN had a penis? I know, I know: I should have asked. But to be honest, the thought didn't cross my mind. And now, after this long, I didn't know if I had the balls to walk away.

It's not that I don't think he's qualified. I'm positive he is. I'm sure he's an excellent doctor who went to an excellent school. I'm also sure he's very sweet. His voice had a low, sort of sexy tone to it. But I'm also sure of this: I was not pleased about the thought of him going near my, well, you know. And I wish someone had told me sooner.

More from The StirWoman Smuggles 54 Bags of Heroin in Her Super Vagina

As it is, the whole idea of someone touching my private areas makes me squirmy. But just thinking of a man I don't know investigating down there makes me squeal. Not to mention, I still can't wrap my mind around why a man, out of all of the medical concentrations in the world, would choose to be a woman's doctor. And then there's the inevitable question: Does he ever get aroused during a consultation? Oh my God. I would die. Actually, I'm pretty positive I would start crying and walk out.

Lucky for me, my real OB/GYN ended up arriving just in the nick of time to give me my annual. Maybe if I had gone through with the exam with the other doctor, I'd feel differently. But I really doubt it. All I know is for now, I'll stick with my yenta of a gynecologist. She and I get along just fine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
My Fitness For You © 2011 | Designed by Interline Cruises, in collaboration with Interline Discounts, Travel Tips and Movie Tickets